The Riverfront of Science (Costanera de la Ciencia in Spanish) is a project designed by the Center for Scientific Studies (Centro de Estudios Científicos or CECs in Spanish) as a post-recovery plan after the 2010 Chile Earthquake. Quickly it became a public space associated with scientific culture which connected the civic area with the riverfront of the city.
The riverfront of Valdivia suffered some of the consequences of the earthquake on February, 27th, thus a project emerged for urban renovation and rebuilding: the “Costanera de la Ciencia”.
The southernmost Foucault pendulum is the key element of the project. This important device demonstrates the rotation of the Earth. It was moved from the CECs’ main hall to a glass and steel tower 65 feet above the riverfront level.
On top of the octagonal tower, it can be found the “Faro Péndulo” (Lighthouse Pendulum), a historic device that served as a navigational aid, from 1896 to 1986, for the Morro de Niebla lighthouse, in Corral bay. This lighthouse was repaired and donated by the Chilean Navy; it has a 10 nautical mile range of visibility and it is placed 63 feet above riverfront medium level.
At the foot of the tower: a map of Chile, the Southern Cone, and the Antarctica can be found. This map reveals the main glaciers and ice shelves in Chile and the polar region. It also shows several countries’ Antarctic research facilities.
Fuente: Alexis Rebolledo, Editor Científico y Curador