The Pedro de Valdivia Bridge was designed by the architect Frederick Wiese Isense and it was inaugurated in 1954 under the fourth centenary of the city. It is a reinforced concrete structure disposed on the Valdivia River which connects the center of the city with the Teja Island. Today is one of the major traffic flows and it is admired for having withstood the 1960 earthquake, which has been the greatest magnitude in all global seismic history records.
Since ancient times the bridges have been indispensable for the functioning of societies, designed to avoid natural and artificial obstacles, and to link roads and provide support for people who use them. The Pedro de Valdivia Bridge is a type of bidirectional Gerber Beam Bridge. It has one lane in each direction and is composed of five sections with spans over the river, with lengths ranging between the 35 and 69 meters. It has a total length of 235.4 meters and a width of 10.5 meters. The view that the bridge has to cross it on foot is one of the most beautiful of the city with its intense fluvial activity and natural environment.
References: P. Aburto. 2013. Analysis of the seismic vulnerability of Pedro de Valdivia-Chile Puente. Thesis for the title of Civil Engineer in Civil Works. Faculty of Engineering, Universidad Austral de Chile.
Retrieved from: http://cybertesis.uach.cl/tesis/uach/2013/bmfcia167a/doc/bmfcia167a.pdfP. Aburto y G. Valdebenito. 2013. Evaluación de la vulnerabilidad sísmica de un puente de hormigón armado de canto variable tipo Gerber. Actas del VI Congreso Nacional de Ingeniería Sísmica, p. 1242-1261. Universidad Industrial de Santander. López, A. 2009. Una Gran Obra para el Cuarto Centenario. Diario Austral Región de los Ríos.
Retrieved from: http://www.australvaldivia.cl/prontus4_nots/site/artic/20090419/pags/20090419000604.html
Text editing and support: Simon Urbina, MD UACH and archaeologist Dr. Galo Valdebenito, UACh