This street was called Abastos street until 1820, in February of the same year changed its name because through that street walked Lord Thomas Cochrane from Moctezuma to Plaza Mayor (Republic Plaza or Republic Square), this walk represent that Independence had arrived to the old Spanish Plaza.
This street is one of the oldest in the city, according to some XIX century records; Valdivia had 7 streets from north to south, being Libertad street one of them. Its name is related to its proximity to the river because from there the provisions made their way to the city.
This street, actually a walk, goes all the way through the Republic Plaza and it´s interrupted by the Independence St, both streets have a huge relation, because with the Valdivia´s “liberty” is declared its “independence”.
Not only Lord Cochrane made his way through this street, hundred years before that, it was the most common and logical way to the city´s center.
It became a walk during the government period 2000-2004 of Mayor Bernardo Berger.