In this area, that before the city´s growth was adjoined to el Pantano, was established until 1599 the San Antonio de los Naturales Convent. After the city´s refound, the Sayago family was one of the most important families that used to live in that area, and were the reason why the place got their name, as it is shown in the urban plans of 1840 as: Sayago Street.
The Sayago Family officially appears in the XVIII century city records, and they not only helped with the city´s economic development but they were also involved in the expedition for the search of the mythical Caesars city in 1777. Because of this, Francisco Javier Sayago was included in the volunteers’ nominee for that mission with the range of corporal.
As it refers to the actual street´s name, we know that by 1910 it was already known as Esmeralda, this name change is related to the city´s modernization and to the redaction of the urban regulations, were all the streets got new names or change their old ones.
About the Esmeralda name, this is a tribute to the schooner that sank in 1879 during the Iquique combat, in the Salitre War. Little by little the city streets where changing their colonial names for new names related to the new Government that was getting stronger every day and needed to strengthen the nation´s identity in a country that was still divided by geography.